The following is our prediction for the Pitchfork Media ‘Top 20 Albums of 2012’. Note that these are only predictions and are not their actual results, however, when those are finally published, we will post a convenient list version of their ‘Top 50 Albums of 2012’ for easier viewing. This is also not our Top 20 Albums of 2012, just what we predict Pitchfork to have as theirs. The prediction is highly interchangeable, with Pitchfork favourites (artist-wise) Swing Lo Magellan and Mature Themes possibly ending up higher up the list, as well as Kaleidoscope Dream, Shrines and Visions possibly featuring only in the top 30. R.A.P Music by Killer Mike could also find it’s way in the top 20 (excluded here), we just think this is the likely order they will publish. I can’t see the top 2 being any other albums, with Channel Orange being the likely winner. Scores under 9.0 feature rarely amongst the top, however, expect at least one of Celebration Rock or Swing Lo Magellan to crack the top 5.
We’d love to hear if you think any different, please comment.
1. Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
2. Kendrick Lamar – good kid, m.A.A.d city
3. Beach House – Bloom
4. Japandroids – Celebration Rock
5. Grizzly Bear- Shields
6. Fiona Apple – The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do
7. Tame Impala – Lonerism
8. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – ‘Allelujah! Don’t Bend! Ascend!
9. Dirty Projectors – Swing Lo Magellan
10. Andy Stott – Luxury Problems
11. Swans – The Seer
12. Chromatics – Kill for Love
13. Flying Lotus – Until the Quiet Comes
14. Spiritualized – Sweet Heart, Sweet Light
15. Burial – Kindred EP
16. Cloud Nothings – Attack on Memory
17. Purity Ring – Shrines
18. Grimes – Visions
19. Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti – Mature Themes
20. Miguel – Kaleidoscope Dream